The Value of Coaching
If you’ve ever played on a sports team, then you know what I’m talking about. If you’ve ever had a fabulous teacher, a dedicated mentor, or an attentive instructor, you’ll agree. When learning and growing, there is no greater resource than an outstanding coach.
In our business, there are many qualities that work to define an outstanding coach, and when an athlete has the opportunity to be guided by such a leader, they quickly understand the true value of being in a coach-led environment.
- An outstanding fitness coach knows how to keep you safe. They have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the movements they are teaching, and if they aren’t experts in their field, they are well on their way. These individuals are lifelong learners.
- An outstanding coach then knows how to take this intimate knowledge and effectively communicate it to their athletes through a range of different strategies.
- These individuals have high-level observational skills. They can tell when you’re moving inefficiently, when you hold your breath, or when your technique is off. They can see things that a mirror will never show you!
- Outstanding coaches have a massive toolbox of strategies they can use to get you moving better, feeling better, and performing better. From using simple cues to designing creative training environments, they will fix what isn’t functioning.
- These coaches know your name and use it. They make a genuine effort to get to know you and ensure you receive the benefit of their attention and instruction during your time together. Some even do this for a whole group of people at once.
- Outstanding coaches uphold a high standard. They are able to show you what is expected of you, by using compelling resources or even their own body. They lead by example and train with the same integrity and grit they expect from you.
- Lastly, outstanding fitness coaches bring their best selves to the training space, infusing your session with positivity, encouragement, inspiration, and laughter. Cause everything is better when you’re having fun!
If you already have an outstanding coach, teacher or mentor, I encourage you to reach out and thank them for the value they bring to your life. Coaching with excellence is a passion which requires consistent dedication, and a sincere desire to improve the lives of others. These individuals deserve a round of applause.
I am proud to say we employ outstanding coaches at CFQB. If you don’t believe me, come see for yourself 🙂
Maggie Bugg is Co-owner of Community Fitness Qualicum Beach on Canada’s rugged and beautiful West Coast and is a massive Star Wars fan. With her Undergraduate Degree in Education, Maggie oversees the Kindergarten to Grade 12 programs at her affiliate and is the Head Trainer for the Teens Program. She is also the General Manager of the gym, focusing on cultivating a welcoming, safe, and results-driven environment for both Staff and Members. When not at the gym, you can find her nose in a book or her toes in ballet slippers.